Sunday, December 21, 2008

Fun and danger in the snow!

I still can't get over how much snow we've had. It makes Stacey and I feel giddy. Stacey also goes into nesting mode, so she has been cooking and baking up a storm. I haven't eaten this good in a long time. I know what you are thinking, but I have been assured it is the snow and Stacey is not pregnant. So Stacey and I decided to go sledding today on the hill below our house. It was loads of fun, and it was fortunate that we were on the hill at that time. There were a bunch of kids that were also sledding and playing in the snow, but then I heard a small voice calling for help. Stacey and I tried to figure out where the voice was coming from when I spotted a hand waving frantically. It was our elderly neighbor and she had fallen outside on her deck. Stacey raced up the stairs leading to our street, while I called my brother who was at the house. I also flagged down two other neighbors who were snowshoeing and they headed to her place as well. I continued talking to her until Stacey got there, then sprinted up the hill myself. I first attempted to climb the hill - in the snow it doesn't look that steep, but considering I am not a mountain goat, my attempt failed miserably. Well, long story short, we got her off the deck and into the house and I called 911. The medics checked her out and decided she didn't need to go in, but Stacey and I stayed with her for the afternoon and took care of her and her dog. What an adrenaline rush. I guess that makes us heroes, eh? Seriously though, if we hadn't heard her, she could have died of hypothermia. The lesson of the day is that snow can be really fun, but can be very dangerous as well, so be safe and stay warm.

This is stacey sledding on an old snowboard.


No comments: