Thursday, October 30, 2008

Switched at Birth?

My "dad" is from the Philippines. I, in no way, look like a Filipina; not even a half Filipina. When friends meet my "dad," I invariably get asked, "That's your dad...? Are you sure?" I'm the palest half Filipina girl I know, except for a couple of Albinos, but they don't really count. I'm not pasty white, but for supposedly being half Asian/Polynesian, I don't think so. Speaking of pasty white, there's my alleged mom - the poster child for pasty whiteness. Along with the marshmallow-colored skin, she has blond hair and blue eyes and I neither look like her or act like her. I really don't even understand her. She repeatedly complains that I can't read her mind or finish her thoughts like my "brother" can. I guess she doesn't realize that I consider that a compliment. Then there's the suspicious circumstances of my birth. When Bev (the alleged mother) went into hard labor, my "dad" decided that would be a good time to go to the cafeteria for a snack. Bev, being the great patient she always is, was being so aggressive and confrontational that they medicated her until she was unconscious. I don't remember the event at all, so as far as I am concerned, until I see a maternity test, I maintain that they brought home the wrong baby.

No comments: