Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Daylight Savings Can Be Hazardous To Your Health

I am soooo glad we get to move our clocks back this coming Sunday. I hate, no loath Daylight Savings Time. Being forced to give up an hour just really ticks me off. Apparently, I'm not the only one who is averse to DST. According to an article in the Seattle PI, Swedish researchers (those crazy Swedes) have found that turning the clock back one hour is good for your heart, so conversely, moving it forward can have adverse effects. Our friendly Swedish scientists looked over the data from 20 years of records and discovered that the incidence of heart attacks increased in the week after starting daylight savings, whereas the number dipped the Monday after setting clocks back. I knew I felt justified in hating DST. Just to be fair, though, the article mentioned that some uptight American researchers found that your chances of getting hit by a car increase with the end of DST, but, personally, I'm willing to take my chances for an extra hour of sleep.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/health/1500ap_med_time_change_heart_attacks.html

No comments: